Easterseals Capper Foundation
Non-Exempt, Part-Time and Full-Time Available
The Direct Support Professional supports Easterseals Capper Foundation's purpose, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: ability and commitment to identify strengths, genuine respect for diverse perspectives and life styles, a capacity to listen and reflect, skill and creativity in helping people become more aware and confident of their own abilities, to help the individual or group assume decision-making and action, knowledge about how to gain access to information and ability to reflect and criticize ongoing process, including one’s own role in those processes.
9:00am-3:00pm Sunday – 6 hrs.
3:00pm-11:00pm Monday through Friday – 40 hrs.
9:00am-11:00pm Saturday & Sunday – 28 hrs.
3:00pm-11:00pm Saturday & Sunday – 16 hrs. (2 positions)
5:00pm-9:00pm Thursday through Sunday – 16 hrs.
7:00am-3:00pm Saturday & 7:00am-7:00pm Sunday – 20 hrs.
9:00am-3:00pm Saturday & Sunday – 12 hrs.
3:00pm-11:00pm Wednesday through Sunday – 40 hrs.
5:00pm-9:00pm Monday through Friday – 20 hrs.
8:00am-9:00am (Residential Services) and 9:00am-3:00pm (Valued Day) – 35 hrs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists individuals with household management (e.g. meal preparation, laundry, cleaning and decorating) and transportation needs to maximize his or her skills, abilities and independence.
- Assists the individual in fulfilling his or her support plan.
- Promotes the health and wellness of people supported.
- Enhances the lives of persons served by providing support and information necessary to build self-esteem, and assertiveness, and to make decisions.
- Follows organizational policies.
- Manages documentation requirements efficiently.
- Communicates effectively with persons served so as to establish a collaborative relationship with the person supported.
- Responds to the needs, desires and interests of persons supported.
- Identifies the needs of the participant for community supports, working with the participant’s informal support system, and assisting with or initiating identified community connections.
- Knows about the range of participatory planning techniques and is skilled in implementing plans in a collaborative and expeditious manner.
- Matches the specific supports and interventions to the unique needs of individuals supported and recognizes the importance of friends, family and community relationships.
- Identifies areas for self-improvement, pursue necessary educational/training resources, and shares knowledge with others.
- Be knowledgeable about the diverse challenges facing participants and be able to identify and use effective advocacy strategies to overcome such challenges.
- Supports the vocational, educational and career support desires of the person supported.
- Understands crisis intervention and resolution techniques and uses such techniques as identified for persons supported.
- Supports the mission and practices of Easterseals Capper Foundation and participates in organizational activities.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED
- Speak fluent English
- Ability to read and write in English
- Prefers applicant has a valid, Kansas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Requires physical strength to bend, stoop, lift, and respond to aggressive behavior with prescribed techniques.
- Employee must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Involves direct contact with individuals who are severely physically and/or developmentally disabled, and who may exhibit unpredictable behavior and uncontrollable outbursts. The physical characteristics of the work environment are such that noise control and odor control procedures are required. May work with individuals with Hepatitis B and/or other blood borne pathogens.
Prior to job offer must pass background check.