Manhattan Area Technical College
Student Retention Specialist
Monday - Friday
Grant funded position ($38,000)
Dean of Instruction/Title III Director
Open until filled
The Student Retention Specialist is primarily responsible for leading the development and implementation of comprehensive services for students in alignment with the Title III grant goals and objectives. These services will include proactive advising (campus-based and online), tutoring (campus-based and online), online Degree Audit, and online Early Alert/Referral. The overall efforts led by this individual will culminate in the analysis of the institution’s retention and persistence performance, and by working with faculty, staff, and students, design and implement actions targeting improved performance in those institutional effectiveness components. This position also provides confidential support under Title IX compliance, crisis intervention/referrals when appropriate, conflict management, academic coaching, and educational/outreach activities to students.
- Collaborate with appropriate campus departments to design, develop and implement a comprehensive student services system that includes individualized outreach, success tracking, and appropriate interventions and accommodations.
- Specifically working with high-risk, disadvantaged, and special student populations to ensure they have access to MATC’s educational programs and activities.
- Ensure the design of the student services system is in compliance with and in conjunction to federal regulations and best practices in the post-secondary educational and technical training environment.
- Provide ongoing training and support to faculty and staff in effective delivery of services and implementation of new support tools/technology.
- Develop and maintain the online and peer tutoring program using the CRLA standards. Identify, train, and supervise peer tutors in accordance with project coursework.
- Satisfy specific documentation requirements of the position related to the Title III grant project within identified timeframes, and related evidence to enhance the institution’s capacity for data-informed analysis and action recommendations.
- Utilizing a success-coaching model based on best practices providing student support services including academic advising, on and off campus resource referrals for student needs, and accommodative services to support student development, academic achievement, and student success.
- Per Title IX compliance, provide support services under legally protected confidentiality.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, student development, or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in advising and student services.
- Demonstrated familiarity with student support at similar institutions.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team.
- Excellent organizational, technological, and communication skills.
- Ability to track outcomes of interventions, utilize the data for informed decision-making, and implement the necessary refinements/updates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with faculty, staff, and administration.
- Excellent, demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be proactive to acquire new and/or advance technological skills as related to basic to more advanced computer use.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment.
- Highly organized and accurate with great attention to detail.
- Knowledge of best practice for online and face-to-face student retention.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in accordance with Title IX compliance.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as may be required.
- Master’s degree in student development, counseling, or related field.
- Experience with online student support services.
- Experience with Canvas LMS and Jenzabar EX.
- Experience with disadvantaged and non-traditional student populations.
- Prior or current experience with Title IX compliance.
- Speaking, observing, hearing, hand/eye coordination.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Display consistency of temperament.
- Ability to sit for extended periods.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to work occasional evenings.
To apply for this position, please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
MANHATTAN AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE COMPLY WITH TITLE IX OF THE EDUCATIONAL AMENDMENTS OF 1972. WE COMPLY WITH THE REHABILITATION ACT OF 1973, THE VIETNAM ERA VETERANS’ READJUSTMENT ASSISTANCE ACT OF 1974, AND THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff and guests.