Manhattan Area Technical College
Dean of Career and Technical Education
Level 12 (Pay Range: $45,004 - $67,507.20)
Vice President Student Success
Manhattan Area Technical College seeks an exceptional candidate of distinguished achievement and administrative accomplishment to provide visionary and innovative leadership, and collaboration with all constituencies to significantly contribute to enhance the college’s existing strengths while moving the school forward to a higher level of distinction as a community partner in preparing and building the workforce of the future.
The Dean of Career and Technical Education provides leadership and innovation in academics through supervision and evaluation of career and technical (CTE) programs and personnel while supporting the enhancement of a student-centered academic environment which frames the College’s mission and vision. The dean is responsible to the Vice President of Student Success (VPSS) and has broad accountability, within the participatory governance framework, for planning, directing and evaluating assigned functions associated with maintaining quality technical programs to include efforts towards reinforcing student success and assessment, staff performance, service on committees, and pertinent projects of the College.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF FUNCTION:
Under the direction of the VPSS, oversee operations and objectives related to development and expansion of career and technical education programs and training that enhances the workforce of the communities we serve.
- Classified, professional, instructional staff, and faculty associated with career and technical programs and workforce training.
- Other designated MATC classified, professional, and instructional staff and faculty in the absence of the VPSS as assigned.
- Develop and deliver quality academic credit/non-credit programs with a student-centered emphasis focus addressing the diverse needs of students and employers consistent with the mission and goals of the institution.
- Provide innovative leadership for all career and technical academic programs (e.g. HVAC, Welding, Automotive Technology, Nursing, etc.) including evaluation of existing programs; and coordinate with department directors and VPSS to improve program availability, develop new programs and curriculum, increase workforce training opportunities, and advance overall access to career and technical programs that meet industry and workforce needs in response to interests and needs of the communities served.
- Recruit, recommend for hire to VPSS, supervise, support and manage team of faculty and staff to maximize employee performance and facilitate professional growth. Maintains a healthy, fair, and inclusive work environment by promoting diversity, exercising teamwork and collaboration.
- Actively promotes a professional workplace culture of mutual respect and collegiality for all members of the institution.
- Assist in the coordination and development of fall, spring, summer course schedules and faculty/staff assignments for all areas of responsibility.
- Interpret and administer College policy and associated agreement with respect to faculty load and scheduling. Provide leadership in the development, revision and interpretation of curriculum, CTE programs, catalog and course information.
- Provide assistance in orientation, and evaluation of adjunct faculty in appropriate disciplines.
- Form articulation agreements and cooperative educational programs.
- Provide leadership in generating staff development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Evaluate the performance of staff personnel in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Provide leadership for the assessment and evaluation of career and technical programs, student learning, program outcomes and faculty performance.
- Provide innovative and insightful leadership to the academic community and strengthen partnerships with institutions, organizations, businesses, and individuals that enhance the College's reputation and academic ties to the communities we serve.
- Attend, and facilitate, in coordination with directors and faculty, scheduling of advisory boards/committee meetings.
- Build partnerships with K-12 institutions in order to foster a positive and collaborative relationship.
- Effectively work with students and faculty to resolve conflicts within the regulations of college policy.
- In coordination with the Data Team, lead the institution’s use of the learning management system related to data analysis and action, coordinating with student services to optimize efforts to provide best practices in student intervention designed to strengthen student performance, retention, and completion
- Provide leadership, in coordination with the VPSS, serving on and working with the Assessment Committee, as well as college faculty with processes and actions related to assessment of student learning and resources in accordance with the Higher Learning Commission
- In coordination with the VPSS, maintain responsibility for successful oversight and completion of college grants associate with career and technical programs, including but not limited to Carl D. Perkins grant, as well as coordinate with appropriate college personnel to identify and pursue grant related opportunities, with an emphasis on those opportunities supporting teaching and learning, professional development, continuing education, and program expansion
- Act as a liaison with District, State, and federal governing bodies regarding College programs and practices.
- Complete other duties as assigned by VPSS
- Master degree from an accredited college or university
- Four years related work experience at the postsecondary level
- Minimum two years’ personnel management experience
- Evaluation experience
- Minimum two years’ budget management experience
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal skills, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills
- Commitment and ability to uphold the educational goals of the college
- Ability to work collaboratively with the college’s administrators, external constituencies, faculty, staff, and students;
- Experience in managing projects with specified goals, objectives and timelines
- Curiosity about and commitment to learning cutting edge technologies for support of online education
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively independently and as part of a team while maintaining an even temperament and sense of humor
- Highly organized and accurate with great attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work evenings and weekends may be required
- Master degree in higher education or related field from an accredited college or university
- Grant management experience
- Four years related work experience at a two-year post-secondary institution
- Familiarity with online instructional practices
- Ability to sit for extended periods
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone
- Ability to work occasional evenings
- Ability to speak, observe, hear, and maintain hand/eye coordination
- Ability to life up to 25 pounds
NOTICE OF SPECIAL POSITION OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting
- Interact effectively and professionally with students, staff, faculty, and guests
- Display a student-centered approach
1. This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and results to be performed in this position. Duties and Performance standards may be added, subtracted, and/or changed by your supervisor at any time due to changes in department or institutional requirements.
2. Unless exempt due to employment contract signed by the President, all employees of Manhattan Tech are to be considered as an “at-will” employee.
3. All employees of Manhattan Tech are considered “responsible employees” pertaining to Title IX regulations concerning both prevention and reporting of sexual assault or harassment situations. As such, all employees must communicate with the Title IX Coordinator if they witness or hear about sexual assault or harassment situations.
4. Manhattan Tech is an equal opportunity employer and complies with EEOC and ADA employment requirements. Manhattan Tech grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, religion or veteran status.
5. All ‘offers of employment” are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.
MANHATTAN AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE COMPLY WITH TITLE IX OF THE EDUCATIONAL AMENDMENTS OF 1972. WE COMPLY WITH THE REHABILITATION ACT OF 1973, THE VIETNAM ERA VETERANS’ READJUSTMENT ASSISTANCE ACT OF 1974, AND THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT.