The Communications Director position is a full-time position located in Topeka, Kansas. The KSA is a voluntary membership organization, primarily farmers, who pay dues to belong. KSA’s mission is to increase profit opportunities through legislative activities, and its members support the national soybean checkoff program. KSA contracts with the Kansas Soybean Commission (KSC) who is responsible for administering the national federally legislated research and promotion program at the state (Kansas) level. Both are self-help organizations which work cooperatively to increase profit opportunities for all soybean producers. The KSC contracts with the KSA for program and administrative functions and works closely with KSC on various activities.
- Under the guidance of the CEO, the Communications Director manages all of KSA and KSC Communications and outreach programs.
- Manages, develops and implements an aggressive proactive communications outreach program with budgets including, but not limited to:
- KSC Annual Report including financial information as legally required.
- KSA Annual Report.
- Brochures and handout materials.
- KSA and KSC Annual Meeting.
- KSA membership materials .
- Earned Media Program (news releases, press conferences, media packets, etc.
- KSA and KSC publications (newsletters and/or magazines).
- KSA and KSC photography & board member biography files.
- KSA and KSC website maintenance.
- Broadcast Program (i.e., radio, television, etc.).
- KSA and KSC speech, public statement, talking points support for leadership and staff.
- Annually communicates KSA’s and ASA’s state and national resolutions.
- Annually communicates KSC’s and USB’s checkoff program priorities and successes.
- Communicates KSA and ASA legislative successes, issues and initiatives working with ASA communications when possible on mutual issues.
- Communicates KSC and USB checkoff successes, issues and initiatives working with USB communications when possible on mutual issues.
- Provides communications support to achieve KSA’s policy objectives.
- Develops a communication program to support nomination and election of KSC Directors, USB Directors, as well as future referendums and/or checkoff polls in cooperation with the Kansas Department of Agriculture (KDA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and USB.
- Provides communication program to develop and maintain a favorable image of the soybean industry with the media as well as industry leaders – state, national and international.
- Provides communications support that encourages leadership development and training for county and state leaders.
- Provides communications support and cooperation for KSA’s corporate relations program.
- Supervises the coordination and maintaining of inventory of communications materials.
- When needed, represents KSA and KSC with foreign trade teams.
- Prepares KSA and KSC meeting minutes.
- When available, handles the board and conference room technology needs for guests using the facility.
- Assumes all other responsibilities as assigned by the CEO.
- See additional duties on Addendum 1, attached hereto.
- BS or BA degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, communication, marketing or public relations.
- General knowledge of agriculture with an emphasis on soybeans a plus.
- Evidence of excellent writing and editing skills.
- Evidence of photography skills.
- Highly motivated, organized, accurate and detail oriented with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Familiar with accounting, experience developing and implementing cost analysis for publications.
- Demonstrated experience working with computers and related publications software.
- Versed in using technical equipment including, board room technology, video and audio conferencing, smart-boards, podium based audio visual equipment.
- Ability to develop and maintain the website.
- Good public relations skills, with evidence of ability to work and communicate with people to ensure effective internal and external relationships.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and coordinate communications program activities of KSA and KSC.
- Provide communications outreach through social networks such as Facebook, twitter and other current and future networks.
- Available to work evenings and weekends as job requires.
- Available to travel in Kansas and U.S. Furnish own vehicle for reimbursement of expenses at established federal mileage rate.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and programs.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lifts and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving and manipulating materials.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment. The noise level is typically low to moderate.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.