Manhattan Area Technical College
Pay Grade: 10** ($38,608 - $62,738)
**Please note: the minimum salary for this position is $38,608 per year. Target beginning salary is $48,000. Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and education. The range indicated includes both typical hiring range and future progression.
The Human Resource (HR) Assistant is a professional who, under the guidance of senior administration, assists with the day-to-day HR responsibilities and activities of the college. The HR Assistant’s responsibilities include but are not limited to; handling the recruitment/hiring process, preparing payroll administration, aiding with employee relations, monitoring and drafting necessary reporting, and helping to ensure institutional, state, and federal compliance.
- Consults with administration to identify needs for vacant position (job description, education, skills/requirements)
- Manages advertisements of vacant positions;
- In coordination with appropriate supervisor, facilitates the candidate screening, selection of candidates for the interviewing phase, interviews, and hiring processes;
- Track open position progress from start to hire
- Checks candidate references and credentials, verifying experience and backgrounds’
- Conduct all onboarding for new employees. (to include but not limited to: employee paperwork, benefits, employee scheduling, ordering of name tag etc.)
- Completes Forms I-9, verifies I-9 documentation and maintains I-9 files.
- Coordinates day-to-day processing of benefit programs to include enrollment of new employees, changes, terminations, updating employee records, and assisting employees with their benefit questions.
- Works with appropriate supervisor and senior administration on employee issues similar to but not limited to: workplace problems; preparation of reports; and provides assistance as directed by executive administration on terminations and/or separations of employment.
- Conducts exit interviews to identify ways to improve staff retention; prepares summary of findings for administration or other appropriate staff;
- Check reviews and review form for accuracy, work with administration and/or supervisor to work within established deadlines;
- Track annual employee evaluations.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Investigates accidents and prepares reports for employee workers compensation claims and enhances supervisor awareness of this topic with an emphasis on reducing risk and cost to the institution.
- Analyze and compile HR data into reports and presentations to faculty, staff, administration and Board of Directors as needed;
- Works closely with Operations Coordinator to assist with benefits administration;
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date human resource files, records, and documentation;
- Enforces institution policies and practices.
- Complete other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s or Associate degree in HR, Business Administration or related field preferred; or two to four years of full‐time of relevant work-related experience required;
- Knowledge of payroll processes;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail;
- Self‐starter who will take initiative to effect positive change;
- Proficiency in computer applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheet, and database;
- Strong, demonstrated oral and written communication skills; specifically demonstrated ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations, consistency of temperament;
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to preserve confidential information;
- Analyze processes in place for improvement opportunities;
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment;
- Ability to sit for extended periods.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
NOTICE OF SPECIAL POSITION OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff and guests.
1. This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and results to be performed in this position. Duties and Performance standards may be added, subtracted, and/or changed by your supervisor at any time due to changes in department or institutional requirements.
2. Unless exempt due to employment contract signed by the President, all employees of Manhattan Tech are to be considered as an “at-will” employee.
3. All employees of Manhattan Tech are considered “responsible employees” pertaining to Title IX regulations concerning both prevention and reporting of sexual assault or harassment situations. As such, all employees must communicate with the Title IX Coordinator if they witness or hear about sexual assault or harassment situations.
4. Manhattan Tech is an equal opportunity employer and complies with EEOC and ADA employment requirements. Manhattan Tech grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, religion or veteran status.
5. All ‘offers of employment” are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.