Organization: Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. (KEPCo)
Job Title: Financial/Regulatory Specialist
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Regular Office Hours, Monday through Friday
Reporting Relationship: Manager, Regulatory Affairs
Location: Topeka, KS
Salary: Starting at $77,000/yr, range based on experience
Kansas Electric Power Cooperative, Inc. (KEPCo), headquartered in Topeka, Kansas, was incorporated in 1975 as a not-for-profit generation and transmission cooperative (G&T). It is KEPCo’s responsibility to procure an adequate and reliable power and energy supply for its 16 distribution electric cooperative members at a reasonable cost.
The Financial/Regulatory Specialist is responsible for supporting nearly all functions of KEPCo by performing tasks that focus on evaluating and/or supporting the evaluation of any and all investments, regulatory involvements, power supply costs, and financial recommendations on behalf of KEPCo’s member distribution cooperatives (Members).
Provide analytical support as needed for our finance, regulatory, and engineering functions including:
- Assisting in the monthly wholesale power billing process for Members.
- Assisting with the development of KEPCo’s annual purchased power, transmission expense, and revenue budgets.
- Assisting in developing and evaluating contracts for power supply and transmission service purchases, as necessary.
- Participating in the development of KEPCo’s rates and assisting in obtaining approvals of regulatory and financing agencies as necessary to execute plans.
- Assisting with KEPCo's involvement in proceedings before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Kansas Corporation Commission, and other state and federal agencies or tribunals.
- Assisting in analyzing and developing plans for an adequate, economical, and reliable power supply for KEPCo’s Members.
Provide effective communications including:
- Supporting the effort to regularly inform senior management about all aspects of KEPCo's revenue requirements and rate needs.
- Assisting in preparing reports for the KEPCo Board as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate technical discipline from an accredited institution is required. Additional preference given to a graduate-level degree.
- At least five (5) years of direct experience is required.
- Ability to analyze difficult financial and economic data and draw logical conclusions is required.
- Proficiency in MicroSoft® Office suite programs (i.e., Outlook, Word, Excel) is required.
- Ability to work both independently and in team settings is required.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is required.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of KEPCo is required.
- A valid Kansas drivers’ license is required.
- Knowledge of electric utility rate design, including rate implementation and maintenance; cost analysis and cost accounting principles; financial and economic analysis practices and tools; power supply and transmission operations; and purchased power contract administration is preferred.
- Knowledge of computer modeling for financial analysis and rate applications is preferred.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and members.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
KEPCo offers a competitive benefits package.
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Security Plan and 401(k)