Company: Kansas Optometric Association (“KOA”)
Job Title: Communications Assistant
Job Classification: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Regular business hours and as needed
Reporting Relationship: Executive Director
Location: Onsite at KOA Office in Topeka, KS
The Communications Assistant assists in serving as a liaison between the Kansas Optometric Association (“KOA”) and our stakeholders, providers, and outside constituents. The Communications Assistant is helps to develop and maintain consistent messaging and increase provider engagement with the activities of KOA.
- Answers telephone calls in a prompt, courteous and efficient manner and provides employees, members of KOA and outside constituents with excellent customer service.
- Plans, develops and implements marketing strategies and public relations activities both internally and externally which support KOA’s goals and objectives.
- Assists with member communications, including print and electronic communications
- Maintains and develops content for website using content management system
- Communicates with constituents via print, email, phone, social media
- Assists with preparations, staffing for events
- Coordinates communications with outside constituents, including schools, staff, others
- Ensures compliance with various and specific branding guidelines and expectations.
- Maintains knowledge of current media trends including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.
- Represents KOA in the community by participating in community events to help build a positive image and strong relationships.
- Assists with preparations and staffing for KOA events.
- High School Diploma or GED, required
- Associates or Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field preferred
- Experience and a demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, Desktop Publishing and all social media platforms required.
- Good phone skills and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with internal and external constituents.
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail required.
- Creative and strategic-thinking abilities.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to identify and initiate process improvements.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate multiple projects.
- Professional attitude and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to speak in-person or over the phone.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail for extended periods of time.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Ability to drive an automobile.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with internal and external customers.
- Some travel may be required.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.