Manhattan Area Technical College
Full-Time Practical Nursing Instructor
Exempt, Full-Time, Faculty
Dean of Nursing and Health Education
As Stated in Offer Letter per Faculty Association Agreement. ($34,555 - $60,511)
Based on Employment Terms as outlined in the Faculty Association Agreement
The MATC Nursing & Health Education Department seeks a Full-Time Practical Nursing Instructor. This is a 9-month teaching position with 30 credit, Fall/Spring course load. This position will work with current faculty to train and support nursing students at our Manhattan campus. Health and Life Insurance coverage are among our benefits with faculty eligible for Kansas Public Health Employees Retirement (KPERS) and 403(b) options.
The Practical Nursing (PN) Instructor will lead and direct students toward their goal of completion of the PN program in the classroom, lab and clinical environments through instructional knowledge of the foundation of nursing, pharmacology, medical-surgical, maternal-child, mental health, and geriatric care. The PN Instructor promotes development of the effective use of critical and analytical thinking, evaluation, communication, computation, problem solving, and decision-making.
Instructor responsibilities include:
- Mastery of Subject Matter
- Demonstrate a thorough and accurate knowledge of the field or discipline.
- Display an ability to interpret and evaluate theories in the field or discipline.
- Connect subject matter with relatable professional/employment fields of students
- Stay current in subject matter through professional development.
- Collaborates with program director and/or faculty members to prepare for classroom, hands-on and simulated lab, and clinical instruction.
- Contributes to curriculum review, development, creation to maintain high standards of program integrity.
Evaluation of Student Learning
- Work constantly to instill in students the technical and academic competencies and employment behavior expected in classroom/lab/clinical setting and out in the industry.
- Prepare for class instruction in adherence to approved learning objectives and competencies through appropriately outlined syllabus and can provide written evidence of preparation upon request.
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques, modalities (utilization of Learning Management System), and instructional media consistent with the multitude of resources available applicable to meet the needs and capabilities of the curriculum.
- Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning focused on student-centered practices.
- Support students through retentions efforts to include recitation opportunities, office hours, and utilization of supportive academic resource measures.
- Develop and enforce appropriate rules and expectations of students in the classroom setting compliant with MATC policies/procedures and that result in a safe, effective learning environment.
- Meet and conduct assigned classes as scheduled and in a professional manner.
- Maintain standards of teaching at the collegiate level and perform according to the Standards of Performance outlined in the MATC policies and procedures.
College Community Responsibilities:
- Effectively administer assessment of student comprehension towards meeting the learning objectives and complete institutional assessment requirements as directed.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by accreditation standards, federal regulations, and administrative guidelines.
- Record and submit rosters and final grades as required per college processes
- Support of College Policies and Procedures
- Maintain confidentially as per state and federal regulations to include but not limited to Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) laws.
- Effectively manages, and/or supports department director with, the departmental budget and work closely with MATC staff to ensure that all assets, materials, supplies, etc., are properly managed and documented per college policy and procedures.
- Advise students, in cooperation with counselors, administrators, etc., in order to ensure that effective services are identified that will assist students in achieving their objective.
- Ensure that safe and reasonable precautions are implemented to protect students, equipment, and facilities.
- Participation in College and Program Activities
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, college committees, and college activities.
- Participate in professional development opportunities both within and outside MATC.
- Engagement with state meetings (KBOR) as requested regarding compliance of curriculum of program discipline.
- Contribution to the Growth and Enhancement of College Mission and Programs
- Communicate effectively with staff, students, and the public the mission and operation of Manhattan Area Technical College and the specific program.
- Cooperate with other members of the MATC staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
- Assist in the operation and management of MATC through effective planning and communication with administration and all staff personnel.
- Assist in the selection of resource materials and equipment and make facility improvement recommendations.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Registered Nurse (current Kansas license in good standing with no disciplinary action pending).
- Possess a baccalaureate degree or higher in nursing, or evidence of enrollment and plan for completion of Bachelor of Science (BSN) program within six (6) years.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience in clinical nursing required with recent clinical experience preferred.
- Maintain nursing licensure and specialty certifications as appropriate.
- Maintain Kansas State Board of Nursing requirements for teaching in PN.
- Provides proof of the following health records:
- Hepatitis B series (three (3) doses) or proof of one (1) positive titer.
- Varicella (two (2) doses) or proof of immunity by titer.
- MMR (two (2) doses) or proof of immunity by titer to:
- Documentation of tetanus vaccine within the last ten (10) years.
- Proof that the candidate does not have active tuberculosis.
- Requirement to receive an annual influenza and COVID-19 vaccine.
- Health Insurance to cover any illness or injury that may occur during clinical instruction.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including public speaking and ability to present the college in a positive way.
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong computer and word processing skills.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) lbs.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and attend events as required.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff and guests.
To apply, visit: MATC Career Page