Sports Sales Manager
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Director of Sales
The Sports Sales Manager is responsible for promoting and selling Topeka as a preferred destination for conventions, meetings, sporting events, and tourism groups on behalf of the Visit Topeka.
- Conducts sales calls and visits on new and existing clients to achieve department sales goals. Maximizes all opportunities in the process of closing a sale.
- Develops and maintains a database of qualified leads through referrals, direct mail, face-to-face, cold calling, e-mail contacts, and networking.
- Identifies sales prospects, new leads and referrals and contacts these, and other accounts, as assigned.
- Develops and prepares written, visual, and oral sales presentations for current and prospective clients.
- Maintains sales status reports, including activity, closings, follow-up and adherence to department sales goals.
- Maintains knowledge of Topeka attractions, historical sites, lodging, convention facilities, events and other relevant items to ensure accurate and timely information is delivered to Visit Topeka's clients.
- Coordinates sales activities by generating and distributing leads to hotels, motels and convention centers for clients; prepares bid materials for delivery to client.
- Represents Visit Topeka at local, regional and national trade shows promoting and selling Topeka as a preferred destination.
- Represents Visit Topeka by maintaining memberships and attending meetings with national associations.
- Builds strong community relations with organizations such as Heartland Visioning, Arts Council, Downtown Topeka, Kansas Department of Travel and Tourism, North East Kansas Tourism Region, Travel Industry Association of Kansas, Tourism Alliance and Flint Hills Tourism Coalition.
- Composes follow-up emails and conducts follow-up phone calls to ensure clients are highly satisfied.
- Represents Visit Topeka in the Topeka community by participating in community events to help build relationships and a positive image.
- Collaborates with Visit Topeka staff to build and maintain a strong team environment to accomplish the goals of Visit Topeka.
- Cultivates and manages relationships with key stakeholders, external agencies and local businesses.
- Promotes Topeka attractions by creating and coordinating itineraries, tours and services for clients.
- Attends sales meetings and staff meetings as required.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field, or four (4) years of work experience in sales is required.
- Strong computer and word processing skills, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and CRM system.
- Strong sales skills including understanding the sales process and executing the process with every potential lead.
- Strong presentation, persuasion and deal-closing skills.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of VTI.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Commitment to the Topeka community expressed through active involvement.
- Passion for Topeka attractions and knowledge of community events.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and attend events as required.
- Resident of Shawnee County, Kansas.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
- Travel is required twenty percent (20%).