Company: DL Smith Electric, Inc.
Job Title: Electrical Estimator
Job Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Salary: $60,000-$80,000 annually, dependent on skill level and experience
DL Smith Electric, Inc. is an established full-service electrical contractor operating since 1972. We perform all types of new electrical construction, remodels, repairs, and service work within Northeast Kansas and throughout the Midwest. We have a long history within Commercial, Hospital, Manufacturing, Food Industry, Heavy Power, Institutional, Water & Wasterwater, Renewable Energy markets. We focus on team-oriented approaches, expect excellence personally and from others, always seek innovative solutions, accountable, and are relationship driven.
Responsible for reviewing, estimating and preparing electrical quotes and proposals and implementing measures to increase DL Smith Electric’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Prepares construction estimates on computerize software systems, utilizing bidding documents, plans, and specifications.
- Coordinates with architects, engineers, and contractors to resolve issues on documents, find alternate means and methods, and request for information in bid preparations.
- Works with the company to review market potential and possibilities for bids which fit the company’s strategic goals.
- Coordinates with owners, contractors, and other on potential projects, and assists in preparing the scope of work needed for key customers.
- Solicits quotes from suppliers, subcontractors via online plan room. Develops material quotes and labor costs based on project schedule.
- Prepares bid proposals with detailed scope of work, clarifications, and detailed pricing.
- Assist in project start-up for awarded projects.
- Provides smooth transition to Project Management, with support as needed. Assists PM's in initial equipment procurement.
- Helps prepare change orders for Project Managers as schedules demand.
- Helps provide change order support for PM’s to help standardize and train efficient change order processes.
- Meet one of the following education requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in a construction or electrical technology related discipline, OR
- At least five years of electrical construction/service field trade experience/training/education, OR
- Equivalent combination of the above.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Direct Experience: 3-8 years of electrical construction estimating experience while employed by an electrical construction contractor is required. Industrial, Healthcare, Institutional, and Heavy Commercial experience is a plus. Accustomed to successfully bidding on projects that are at least $200,000 or more in cost.
- Accubid Pro experience is a HUGE plus but is not required.
- Computer Skills: Must have accurate typing skills and be proficient in using database, email, internet, spreadsheet, and word processing applications, specifically Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Windows), Bluebeam experience is helpful.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to exercise good judgement with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of DL Smith Electric.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Must be able to satisfactorily pass a criminal background check and drug screen.
- Must be able to satisfactorily pass a motor vehicle record check. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment.
- Interaction with internal and external customers.