Assistant Research Scientist I
Schedule is determined based on business needs which may include weekends and/or holidays.
To provide competitive, independent, investigative research and product development in: crop production; crop protection; food quality; environmental preservation, product stewardship, genetics and seeds.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform basic laboratory tasks (e.g., sample documentation, labeling, sample preparation, homogenization and/or extraction, packaging of samples, glassware and equipment cleaning, solution preparations, etc.) with minimum supervision following training.
- Comply with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP), study protocols, company SOP's as applicable to the assignments.
- Provide technical support for sample handling and processing; extraction and preparation; and maintain cleanliness.
- Process data and assist with basic preparation of reports having minimal complexity, with supervisory review and edits. Ability to Quality Control (QC) numerical data.
- Maintain accurate and complete data files.
- Complete daily logs and equipment notebooks as required.
- Clean glassware appropriately and store in organized fashion.
- Maintain and operate standard lab equipment (e.g., homogenizers, centrifuges, pipettes, balances, and pH meters) and, as trained, more sophisticated instrumentation including analytical instrumentation.
- May prepare chemical standards and ready samples for extraction and analysis.
- Schedule is determined based on business needs which may include week-ends and/or Holidays.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Team Lead or designee.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, highly preferred.
- Entry level to one (1) year of experience, highly preferred.
- General level chemistry calculations; proficient in math skills and numerical ability.
- Establish beginning knowledge/awareness of hardware and/or software experience with LC - MS/MS; GC - MS/MS; LC - MS; GC - MS instrumentation.
- Proficient computer skills with most current database and software (not instrument) applications needed.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English fluently, or with necessary assistance, while performing the job duties which require this ability.
- Required competencies:
- Mission and Values Driven – Clearly understand the mission and values of SynTech Research to ensure all work performance aligns to the mission and values. All employees are expected to promote a “CAN DO” attitude and demonstrate a willingness to work in a professional and collaborative manner. Demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and self-improvement.
- Integrity, Ethics, and Collaboration – Treat people with respect and individuality; do what you say; be fair and equitable in all interactions; be a good steward of company resources; and work effectively with others.
- Safety – Put safety first by anticipating and performing actions necessary to avoid hazardous work-related conditions which could result in injury, harm, or loss.
- Communication – Give and welcome feedback; exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views; contribute to holding each other accountable and build a positive team spirit. Write clearly and informatively; edit work to high standards of written presentation.
- Adaptability, Flexibility, and Critical Thinking – Effectively manage competing demands and able to change course when new information becomes available. Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; and develop alternative solutions.
- Attention to Detail and Timely Follow-up – Demonstrate thoroughness and accuracy in work activities through concern for all areas involved. Plan and prioritize work activities, use time efficiently to meet deadlines and provide timely follow-up for all issues.
- Ability to read computer screens, e-mail and mail, talk on the phone.
- Capable of wearing a respirator to participate in study activities and to dispose of hazardous waste.
- Specific vision requirements include close vision, distance vision, depth perceptions, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms.
- Able to work in highly regulated, high pace environment.
- Must be able to walk, stand 50% to 80% of the time, squat, bend, kneel, climb, push, pull, use hands; reach with hands and arms overhead; speak and hear effectively in team and/or one-on-one conversations.
- For Sample Management: Must be able to climb ladders, lift/move up to fifty (50 pounds with proper ergonomics and use of assistance as needed (e.g., other people, carts, pallet jack, etc...).
- Office setting in a temperature controlled environment.
- Exposure to outdoors in extreme conditions.
- Interaction with employees and visitors.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this Job Description at any time. The Job Description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.