Company: Kansas Hospital Association ("KHA")
Job Title: Director, Communications
Accountable to: Senior VP, Member and Public Relations
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Generally 8 hours per day per schedule, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p. m. | M-F
The Director of Communications is responsible for serving KHA members through the development, planning, implementation, management, maintenance and evaluation of communications. This position is a part of a team that develops and provides communications that educate and inform KHA member organizations, the legislature, health care stakeholders/partners, the media and the public at large. This position supports the mission and values of the association.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Assesses, develops, coordinates and implements the delivery of communications and products, including content development, use of data, project scheduling, budgeting, writing, designing, editing, production and evaluation.
- Actively seeks to add and enhance knowledge regarding developments and current trends in communications and in the health care industry that will serve KHA’s members.
- Performs specific issue management, strategic planning and identification.
- Researches and analyzes issues, proposals and policies.
- Budget reporting and monitoring as needed for areas of responsibilities.
- Directs printed and electronic communications and KHA website and social media sites.
- Directs and/or produces communication materials through writing, editing, graphic design, printing and distribution.
- Supports KHA policy groups, councils and committees.
- Serves as liaison with allied organizations (KAHCC/KCHCS). Represents KHA externally.
- Provides information, creates reports and responds to requests from KHA members, stakeholder groups, media staff and the public on issues in area of responsibility.
- Tracks and informs members and staff of key health news.
- Researches, designs and orders promotional products, as necessary.
- Recommends policies and procedures as it relates to areas of responsibility.
- Prepares articles for newsletters; drafts written and oral testimony and scripts.
- Continuously reviews, edits and approves outgoing communications and data analytics.
- Files and organizes KHA communications, runs analytics.
- Responds in a timely manner to inquiries for information to KHA members and staff.
- Oversees KHA award and recognition program.
- Works collaboratively with KHA staff to maintain a team environment to accomplish the tasks necessary to serve and support KHA and our affiliates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, data analytics, health policy, marketing, association industries or related field is required.
- Four (4) years of related work experience in communications, public relations, marketing, policy or data analysis or a related field is required.
- Basic knowledge of the health care delivery system is preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Demonstrated ability to speak in front of groups.
- Experienced ability to write, design and edit reports, white papers, brochures, newsletter articles, social media post and other marketing materials.
- Ability to identify, research and solve problems.
- Strong financial and analytical skills are required.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects at once.
- Demonstrated experience with social media communications and analytics.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness.
- Strong computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office, Adobe products, databases, PowerPoint, Excel, InDesign, PhotoShop and Web/HTML.
- Video and photography skills is preferred.
- Proficient math skills (basic math principles, computations and interpretation of graphs).
- Strong documentation, research and resolution skills.
- Strong sense of work ethic including a willingness to work the hours necessary to complete the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to interact with employees and members in a professional manner.
- Valid driver’s license for travel is required.
- Lift and move items up to 50 lbs.
- Sit, and stand and walk for extended periods.
- Ability to concentrate on detailed information.
- Ability to work on the computer for hours at a time.
- Bend, kneel and reach items with use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Must be able to speak and listen effectively.
- Vision abilities for close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Professional office setting with little discomfort due to such factors as noise, heat, dust, or other adverse factors.
- This is a non-smoking work environment, including all premises and other such areas.
- Travel is required, along with that entails standard travel risks.
This job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the team member holding this position. Staff is required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related responsibilities as requested by management.