Kansas Grain Inspection Service
Non-Exempt, Full-time (30 hours per week)
The Bookkeeper is responsible for preparing and updating the financial ledgers of Kansas Grain Inspection Service, Inc. (“KGIS”), as well as providing administrative support to leadership and fellow employees.
- Enters information from vendor bills received for payment.
- Updates spreadsheet monthly with info from health insurance and/or life insurance carriers.
- Chooses checks to print and has printed checks signed by two authorized signers.
- Mails payments to vendors and prepares outgoing mail.
- Files paid invoices.
- Prepares spreadsheet using bi-weekly payroll information. Makes entries to update general ledger.
- Prepares spreadsheet with bi-weekly retirement contribution information. Makes entries to update general ledger.
- Reconciles accounts monthly.
- Prepares monthly financial reports for management review.
- Prepares Affordable Care Act spreadsheets for submission to a third-party administrator (bi-weekly and monthly).
- Gathers information requested annually by insurance carrier for workers compensation.
- Gathers information on employment statistics for monthly phone reporting to DOL.
- Works with audit staff in their completion of year-end financial audit.
- Completes year-end reports for the third-party administrators, as requested.
- Processes yearly 1099’s for distribution.
- Tracks when leases expire, across the 8 locations, and gives President notice to renegotiate.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Office Manager.
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- At least five (5) years of bookkeeping experience is preferred.
- Ability to work additional hours on a seasonal and unscheduled basis.
- Ability to communicate with people outside of the organization, representing KGIS to customers, the public, government, and other external stakeholders. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both verbal and written.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to perform basic math skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of KGIS.
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, and hear.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lifts and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving and manipulating materials.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting. The noise level is typically moderate.
- Occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, or airborne particles, and vibration.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.