Company: Kansas Power Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Job Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Regular Office Hours, Monday through Friday
Reporting Relationship: Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Salary: Based on experience
Primary Accountabilities: The Finance and Accounts Payable/Payroll Specialist handles the processing of invoices and other records to ensure the system’s accounts are paid on a timely basis. This position is also responsible for preparation, record-keeping, and compliance of all payroll and payroll taxes. Additionally, this role provides custodianship and protection for the financial records of KEPCo and to keep the records of accounts in accordance with the RUS system of accounts, GAAP and Board adopted policies and by-laws.
- Reviews invoices and extends totals for cost analysis and sends for approvals.
- Prepares invoices for payment.
- Prepares, codes, and prints accounts payable checks.
- Mails & files invoice & checks. Assigns account numbers to time sheets and vouchers.
- Prepares certain account reconciliations as needed.
- Prepares general fund bank statement reconciliation on a timely basis.
- Prepares record-keeping and compliance of all payroll and payroll taxes.
- Coordinates with Vice President and Chief Financial Officer and Vice President of Administration and General Counsel regarding compliance with all wage and hour laws, 401(k) plan requirements, and other benefit programs compliance.
- Posts member and non-member energy sales, invoices, and payments.
- Assists in gathering information for the Annual Ad Hoc audit. Assists in monthly closing with preparation of journal entries.
- Assists with Member sales prepayments.
- Assists with purchased power payments and postings.
- Assists in preparation of schedules associated with year-end audit.
- Assists in monthly reconciliations.
- Responsible for KEPCo and KSI annual reports and daily check deposits.
- Assists in preparation of schedules associated with rate case filings.
- Assists with annual KEPCo audit. Daily remote deposits.
- Assists in updating various spreadsheets.
- Makes travel arrangements and hotel reservations as directed or requested.
- Performs any other duties, as requested or assigned.
- High school diploma, or equivalent is required. Associates degree or some college or completion of a business school is preferred. A continuing education of attendance at business seminars or membership in a professional business organization is a plus.
- At least five (5) years of experience in accounts payable/payroll activities, preferably with an electric utility.
- Familiarity with REA System of Accounts or able to develop background in a short period of time. Should also be familiar with generally accepted accounting practices.
- Proficient computer experience with the ability to learn new software is required.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills, including excellent grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills.
- Possess good analytical and computational skills.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of KEPCo.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to support the goals, plans, and programs of KEPCo.
- Must be polite and cooperative in phone conversations and have good customer service skills.
- Possess the necessary personal characteristics that make an employee a productive team member, including: high integrity, good personal habits, and regular attendance at work.
- Ability to gain and maintain respect of others, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Ability to read computer screens and email, mail and talk on the phone.
- Ability to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.