Company: Sunflower Foundation
Job Title: Grants/Finance Manager
Job Classification: Full-Time
Work Schedule: Normal business hours as well as the ability to work some mornings, evenings and weekends as required by event necessity.
Compensation: Compensation based on experience
Reporting Relationship: Chief Financial Officer [CFO]
The Sunflower Foundation: Health Care for Kansans was created in 2000. Based in Topeka, it is a statewide public foundation and grant making organization. The Sunflower Foundation focuses on the primary areas:
- Healthy living and active communities
- Built Environment (e.g. Trails)
- Mental Health
- Nonprofit Capacity Building
- Education and Advocacy
In addition, the Sunflower Foundation opened the Sunflower Nonprofit Center (NPC) in 2021. The Center offers a state-of-the-art education center, shared office services including leased and co-shared working office space. The mission of the NPC is to build capacity of nonprofit organizations that serve health and social service nonprofits locally and across the state through shared workspace and collaborative learning.
Summary of Position:
The Grants/Finance Manager supports the foundation in fulfilling its vision, mission and strategic priorities by designing, implementing and monitoring all components of the grants process including applications, payments and reports. The Grants/Finance Manager also assures compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations.
The Grants/Finance Manager works closely with Program Officers and CFO.
- College degree (4 year or 2 year program)
- Experience in grant management or grant writing
- Database proficiency (Access, Excel or a proprietary product)
- Extensive internet research experience
- Education and/or work experience in health or public health
- Experience with Windows based programs as well as the Microsoft Office package
- Demonstrated organization and time management skills
- Attention to detail and problem solving, with demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines and commitment to customer service
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Experience working in a grantmaking organization, foundation or non-profit
- Maintain grant tracking system
- Create and maintain grant files to meet legal, auditing and foundation requirements, including IRS compliance
- Manage online grant application process
- Set up systems to establish reporting procedures
- Manage payment and report schedules
- Design and implement workflow for grants processes
- Compile monthly and annual data reports
- Participate in joint staff review of submitted proposals
- Follow-up with questions about preliminary applications
- Provide information as requested by the President, Program Officers and/or CFO
- Update application and review processes as required
- Assist with preparation of committee and board materials
Assist in preparing conditions of grant
- Work with CFO on Letters of Agreement
- Oversee grantee acceptance
- Consult with CFO and/or Program Officers as necessary about special conditions
- Develop payment and reporting schedules within foundation policies and needs of particular grants
- Work with CFO on monthly payments
Monitor grants through grant period
- Monitor receipt of progress, financial, and final reports
- Assist program and finance staff with reviewing financial and narrative reports on grants; follow up if necessary
- Approve and/or discuss with Program Officers and/or CFO any significant changes in budget, timing of payment, goals, timeline, outcomes, reporting dates, etc.
- Evaluate financial reports – Reviews financial grant reports, determines level of compliance with grant conditions, reports any areas of concern to CFO.
- Assist with preparation of reports and meeting materials for staff and Board meetings.
- Manage accounts payable in QuickBooks
- Assist CFO in preparing reports for annual audit