Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Reporting Relationship: County Commissioner/Board
The County Administrator manages budget functions of Nemaha County in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, directs and coordinates activities consistent with established goals, objectives and policies, provides direction and structure for operating units and delegates authority to subordinates. Assists the Board to develop primary goals, operating plans, policies, and short and long-range objectives for the County.
- Performs executive management duties, strategic and operational planning, and administrative work in assisting and supporting County government.
- Implements directives, policies and major initiatives at the request of the Board.
- Serves as final resource and authority for specific assignments, policy implementation, guidelines and procedures.
- Develops annual performance expectations and prepares performance evaluations of department heads, division managers and other professional staff.
- Facilitates the communication and decision-making process between departments and the Board of Commissioners.
- Ensures that information provided to the Board is professional and presented in a manner that facilitates executive decisions.
- Prepares and presents written reports with recommendations for action as required.
- Provides financial advice and decisions based on the directives of the Board and in accordance with the adopted budget.
- Oversees the development and administration of policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Facilitates and maintains intergovernmental communication and coordination.
- Participates in programs and processes which result in efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Works under the direction of the Board and in conjunction with department leaders to facilitate long range and strategic planning to sustain the objectives of the County and to improve organizational effectiveness.
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary for the completion of statutory deadlines within the office or in the field.
- Must possess bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or related field.
- Must possess valid Kansas driver’s license.
- Must pass background check and drug test.
- Must have a minimum of four (4) years of experience and at least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Must possess considerable knowledge of a personal computer and related software applications that pertain to the operation of this office.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to portray professional and courteous service with other County Departments, employees, elected officials and the general public.
- Must possess ability to multi-task.
- Reliable and dependable attendance is mandatory.
- Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must possess the ability to analyze complex data, problems, situations, practices, or procedures to define the problem or objective to identify relevant concerns or factors and facilitate logical and objective conclusions.
- Must be able to lift and carry ten (10) pounds.
- Regularly requires sitting, frequently requires standing, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions and occasionally requires walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and reaching with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Will spend a large amount of time viewing a computer screen.
- Vocal communication and normal hearing are required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Acceptable verbal and conversation skills to effectively communicate with others via the phone, at meetings and to greet and assist visitors.
- Frequent use of phone handset and repetitive use of hand & fingers to operate office equipment, use computer keyboard & computer mouse and to perform other office tasks.
- Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions, maintaining professional standards and maintaining situational awareness of surroundings.
- Work is performed primarily in a typical indoor office setting. Work is mostly sedentary with periods of mobility and light physical activity.
- Occasional outdoor work activities include exposure to all weather conditions.
- Subject to frequent interruptions with frequent amount of public contact.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.