Engineer (I, II, or III)
Monday – Friday (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
The primary objective of the Engineer position (I, II, or III) is to provide engineering and technical support for KEPCo. This position will also assist with the development of business plans, project planning, and ensuring compliance with applicable standards.
- Assists with the operation and maintenance of KEPCo-owned generations resources.
- Assists with the installation and maintenance of KEPCo metering and communication equipment.
- Assists with the resolution of technical issues with KEPCo transmission and power suppliers regarding the safe, efficient, reliable delivery of power to KEPCo Member Cooperatives.
- Ensures compliance with applicable standards, rules, regulations, and laws.
- Provides support for KEPCo Member Cooperatives regarding transmission and distribution operation and maintenance, metering, power quality, communication and control equipment, and commercial and industrial consumer concerns.
- Assists KSI by preparing and communicating the results of engineering and economic studies related to the planning and development of distribution and transmission facilities for KEPCo member cooperatives and non-members.
- Provides support to KSI by conducting and communicating the results of work order inspections, distribution and transmission staking, and other engineering field activities.
- Provides support to KSI by assisting with the development of business plans, budgets, marketing, project planning and scheduling, project accounting, and other tasks related to managing this consulting engineering business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university program.
- Engineer I position requires zero to six (6) months of work experience in the electric utility industry with an emphasis on utility design, engineering, and operational activities.
- Engineer II position requires a minimum of two (2) years of work experience in the electric utility industry with an emphasis on utility design, engineering, and operational activities.
- Engineer III position requires a minimum of five (5) years of work experience in the electric utility industry with an emphasis on utility design, engineering, and operational activities.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT) status on track to obtain a P.E. license in not more than 4 years for Engineer I and II positions preferred.
- Professional Engineering (P.E.) license in the State of Kansas or the ability to obtain one within 1 year for Engineer III position required.
- Valid Kansas Driver’s License is required.
- Demonstrates a professional presence and commitment to effective job performance.
- Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
- Exercises good judgment to make well-informed decisions and to develop and implement effective solutions.
- Integrates business, organizational, and industry knowledge into job performance.
- Maintains at least a basic knowledge of electric utility engineering, including system design, protection, construction, operation, and maintenance.
- Maintains at least an introductory understanding of the National Electric Safety Code, as well as industry standards applicable to electric utility systems, equipment, and operations.
- Demonstrates computer literacy and ability to operate business and engineering software.
- Demonstrates effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Must be able to work for extended periods of time without being fatigued.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
- Work is performed both in a private office and outside in the field. Must be willing to travel in state and out of state as necessary to meet job requirements.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
KEPCo is An Equal Opportunity Employer and offers an employer funded retirement plan, a generous 401k match, an exceptional employee benefits program, and a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested parties are to submit the following: (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) three professional references; and (4) salary expectation.