Company: Kansas Hospital Association ("KHA")
Job Name: Vice President, Health Care Finance and Reimbursement
Accountable to: Vice President, Government Relations
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Supervises: Administrative Professional
Work schedule: Generally 8 hours per schedule per day, 8:00 a. m. – 5:00 p. m.
The Vice President, Health Care Finance and Reimbursement is responsible for serving in the advocate and education role of reimbursement as it relates to hospital billing and collection practices, hospital revenue cycle, financial data products and insurance payers. This position supports the Vice President of Governmental Relations as needed and leads staff to be accountable for the mission and values of the association.
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Performs specific issue management, planning and identification of current and upcoming reimbursement changes that impact member hospitals.
- Represents and advocates on behalf of KHA and related entities in local, state and national venues on issues related to health care reimbursement, including commercial payers, the State Medicaid Agency, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) on both the Regional Office as well as the Central Office, and the American Hospital Association.
- Researches and analyzes issues and proposals from CMS State of Kansas, and other agencies regarding health care finance (including the Federal Register, Medicare transmittals and manuals, Medicare contractor notices and manuals, State Plan Amendments, Medicaid Fiscal Agent, commercial health insurance plans, workers compensation and Office of the Inspector General).
- Collaborates with staff and others to develop the association’s position on issues involving financing of health care services.
- Tracks and monitors changes in hospital CFOs. Develops resources and education for CFO Orientation.
- Serves as liaison for the CFO/Business Office staff of member hospitals on issues and initiatives.
- Collaborates and supports various KHA financial data products and services (HANYS, AHA annual survey and the like).
- Identifies and implements solutions to problems in general and urgent matters for KHA members.
- Provides information and responds to requests from KHA members and state officials.
- Hires, trains, guides, encourages, develops and coaches staff within direct supervision.
- Creates and holds staff accountable for performance objectives which align with the strategic plan and supports KHA (and affiliates) mission and values.
- Analyzes trends, researches and collects data for critical legislative and policy issues relating to health care reimbursement, billing and collections.
- Downloads, analyzes and edits the HANYS financial impact reports, descriptions and summaries of Medicare payment rules.
- Provides leadership and direction to KHA policy groups in areas of responsibility, including the Committee on Health Care Finance and Reimbursement and the KanCare Committee., the Medicaid DSH Steering Committee, and the Committee on Policy and serves as Liaison for KHA allied organizations (HFMA).
- Participates in councils and committees outside of KHA in the area of finance and reimbursement, including the Workers Compensation Fee Panel Advisory Committee, Blue Cross Blue Shield Hospital Advisory Committee, the Executive Committee of the KanCare Meaningful Measures Collaborative, the State Medicaid Alternative Payment Model Initiative Committee, and the like.
- Develops, oversees and participates in the annual All Payers Meeting.
- Provides education and assistance to the new CFOs of member hospitals, including an annual CFO orientation program.
- Maintains files and records for area of responsibility.
- Serves and supports the VP to meet the needs of KHA members.
- Creates, prepares and delivers reports to stakeholders, as necessary.
- Prepares articles for Current Report and Federal Advocate, as needed.
- Assists in the preparation of legislative testimony, as needed.
- Reports and monitors budgets for assigned area of responsibility, as needed.
- Recommends policies and procedures as it relates to area of responsibility.
- Supports KHA policy groups in areas of responsibility.
- Continuously reviews, edits and approves outgoing documents.
- Responds in a timely manner to inquiries for information to KHA members, staff and vendors.
- Actively seeks to add and enhance knowledge regarding developments and current trends in the health care industry that will serve KHA’s business needs.
- Seeks counsel of the President on financial concerns or other issues as appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with KHA staff to maintain a team environment to accomplish the tasks necessary to serve and support KHA and affiliates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s in Business or Accounting is required.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ of finance and reimbursement experience or related experience in a hospital is required.
- Must possess at least a basic knowledge of the health care delivery system for hospitals.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations in a variety of formats.
- Must have excellent communication skills (verbal, written and body language).
- Creativity when addressing tasks.
- Ability to problem solve rationally and with common sense.
- Research capabilities.
- Proficient math skills (basic math principles, computations and interpretation of graphs).
- Software knowledge of programs utilized including Microsoft Suite products, Adobe products is required.
- Knowledge of electronic scanners and general office equipment.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions either written, oral, diagram, schedule or electronic formats.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work to effectively and efficiently to accomplish tasks while managing multiple projects at the same time and delivering friendly service.
- Must have the ability to respect diversity and individual needs.
- Presents self with professionalism while representing KHA at events (local, state and national events).
- Valid driver’s license for travel is required.
- Lift and move items up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to concentrate on detailed information.
- Ability to work on the computer for hours at a time.
- Bend, kneel and reach items with use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Must be able to speak and listen effectively.
- Vision abilities for close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Professional office setting with little discomfort due to such factors as noise, heat, dust, or other adverse factors.
- This is a non-smoking work environment, including all premises and other such areas.
- Travel is required, along with that entails standard travel risks.
This job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the team member holding this position. Staff is required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related responsibilities as requested by management.
KHA’s Mission: To be the voice and resource for community-based hospitals by meeting member needs for advocacy and service.