Kansas Electric Power Cooperatives ["KEPCo"]
Information Systems Specialist II
Regular Office Hours, Monday through Friday, limited evening, or weekend hours may be required.
Executive Director, Technical and Energy Services
The Information Systems Specialist II is responsible for reviewing, analyzing, evaluating, and supporting a wide variety of information technology systems and services for KEPCo. The position also provides support to KEPCo’s operations in the Load Monitoring Center. This position is responsible for the general maintenance of computer equipment, network administration, development/maintenance of software/databases, resolution of identified technical problems, SCADA system administration, telecommunication system administration, and supporting daily operations in the Load Monitoring Center. This position is also responsible for providing analyses of data as needed by KEPCo.
Load Monitoring Center
- Develops and maintains software and databases to support KEPCo’s business needs.
- Develops and maintains data transfer methodologies among KEPCo’s computer systems and partner systems.
- Maintains and operates KEPCo’s VOIP telecommunication system.
- Assists in the maintenance and operation of KEPCo’s local area network and storage systems.
- Maintains and operates KEPCo’s windows servers and virtualization technologies.
- Assists in maintaining KEPCo’s cloud infrastructure.
- Assists in maintaining KEPCo’s SCADA system.
- Assists with audio/visual and other technical needs during KEPCo meetings.
- Assists with preparing the monthly power bills to KEPCo’s Members.
- Maintains computer software used by KEPCo.
- Coordinates and participates in the installation and testing of new hardware/software.
- Coordinates and participates in training for new software/hardware implementation.
- Provides primary support for end user’s devices and application needs.
- Responsible for identifying, researching, and resolving technical problems.
- Ensures timely response and resolution of IT issues.
- Maintains working knowledge of cyber security threats and make recommendations to mitigate risks.
- Remains aware of current developments in the computer industry, including new releases of currently used software and hardware, new cost-effective technologies using computers, and new ways to use computers.
- Performs other duties, as requested, or assigned.
- Provides support to SCADA/Metering Technicians’ daily field operations.
- In cooperation with the Manager, SCADA and Meter Maintenance, coordinates and assists with the installation of all new delivery points and ensures good working relationships with all parties involved.
- Coordinates with other, peer utilities on real-time delivery point and transmission issues.
- Maintains all data collected for billing and verifies accuracy of such data.
- Provides communications and computer support for KEPCo EMS/SCADA system and meter software.
- Assists in development of short-term load forecasts for power supply delivery scheduling and load management.
- Participates in KEPCo load management activities as assigned.
- Participates in and supports operations of Sharpe Station (diesel peaking units.)
- Maintains working knowledge of the KEPCo SCADA system.
- Verifies the integrity of data within the SCADA system.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of SCADA screens for KEPCo’s and Members’ use.
- Assists KEPCo employees and Members with use of the KEPCo SCADA system.
- Maintains and operates the SCADA system in a secure manner.
- Supports KEPCo’s involvement in the Southwest Power Pool through reporting, data submission and retrieval, tracking of requests, and submission deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in an information technology discipline from an accredited institution is required.
- At least two (2) years of prior direct related experience is required.
- Demonstrates a professional presence and a commitment to effective job performance.
- Builds constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
- Exercises sound judgement to make well-informed decisions, and develop, and implement effective solutions.
- Possesses skills in configuring computer networks, installing computer operating systems and software, and interfacing with cloud computing systems.
- Experience with MS-SQL or MySQL, modern programing languages (primarily web-centric), VMWare virtualization, Active Directory, and Microsoft 365.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting users with word processing, spreadsheets, and other computer application software.
- Valid Kansas drivers’ license.
- Electric utility experience.
- Working knowledge of the FERC/NERC requirements for critical cyber assets.
- Ability to read computer screens and email, mail, and talk on the phone.
- Ability to lift up to twenty (20) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
KEPCo offers a competitive benefits package.
- Paid Time Off and Holidays
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement Security Plan and 401(k)