CoreFirst Bank & Trust
Chief Financial Officer
Topeka, Kansas (Headquarters)
The Controller is responsible for the accounting operations of the bank and for driving strong accounting discipline throughout the bank using best practice solutions. This will include managing the organization’s financial and accounting policies, procedures, systems and controls. It will also include ensuring accuracy and integrity of financial reports and confirming that they are in compliance with both generally accepted accounting principles and regulatory accounting principles.
Essential Job Functions:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Direct the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, reports to stockholders and government agencies. Insure financial reports and systems comply with all regulatory, FASB and AICPA guidelines.
- Oversee the Accounting Department, which includes operational and general ledger accounting, as well as accounting for trust operations.
- Become proficient in duties of the Accounting department to serve as a back-up should the need arise.
- Manage the bank’s cash and liquidity position. Manage and make recommendations about all correspondent bank accounts.
- Analyze cost center accounting for the various departments within the Bank; Analyze branch accounting for the various branches within the Bank.
- Oversee the accounting operations of the bank, particularly IT control systems, transaction processing operations and policies and procedures.
- Update bank and Holding Company capital plans.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures and update as needed.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes, transactions and data, and enhance the Bank's value.
- Maintain and evaluate the Bank’s internal control structure over financial reporting ensuring the Bank has strong financial controls in place.
- Involvement in budget preparation and financial planning. Regularly meet with other department leaders and managers to keep informed and offer direction concerning accounting/financial issues.
- Review and analyze variances to budget and report significant issues to management.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of bank operation as well as assist in the calculation and issuance of financial and operating metrics.
- Responsible for monitoring advances in accounting technology and for upgrading existing and/or installing new accounting software.
- Manages vendor relationships with third party accounting service and software application providers. Includes contract compliance, contract negotiation, service level management, etc.
- Take the lead in responding to audit reports and risk assessments, as well as clearing audit and risk actions.
- Assist with providing information to external and internal auditors and regulators of the Bank during their examination.
- Insure corporate income tax compliance with accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Provide information to external tax accountants for the calculation of estimated tax payments. Review their estimated tax payment calculation.
- Oversee subsidiary accounting and information systems including branch and business unit accounting.
- Insure the external accounting firm receives timely information related to finance and accounting; seek guidance from the external firm concerning GAAP, new accounting pronouncements and other related accounting issues.
- Analyze accounting department to pinpoint opportunities and areas to improve operational/technological efficiency.
- Review internal and external reports for accuracy.
- Provide assistance to the CFO with the ALM program, including preparation of ALM reports and working with consultants.
- Manage secondary market sales.
- Attend Committee meetings as assigned.
- Respond to CFO as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate financial needs.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA certification preferred
- 5-10 years of accounting managerial experience
- Bank experience with knowledge of regulatory reporting preferred
- Experience in automation of manual accounting processes, including new system implementation
- Working knowledge of COSO’s Internal Control Integrated Framework
- A significant level of trust is required as exposure to sensitive and confidential information cannot be shared outside of the Department
- Diplomacy, courtesy, and tact is required; Demonstrated ability to foster sound professional relationships with management is necessary
- Strong written, verbal, interpersonal and analytical skills, including ability to interact effectively with customers, employees and management are essential
- The ability to plan and execute multiple projects and initiatives balancing department and organizational demands and resources is a must.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations
- Apply relevant findings to improve organizational effectiveness
- Ability to write routine reports and business communications
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees and management
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as interest, dividends and percentages
- Advanced proficiency in using MS Excel and MS Access for the purpose of creating reports through various Bank systems
- Work must be completed with quality and accuracy
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and promote a positive attitude toward teamwork
- Ability to accept and respond to changes in the work environment
Adherence to CoreFirst Values; Respect, Communication, Integrity, Initiative, and Accountability. A secondary focus on internal and external Customers, Compliance, Ethics, Perseverance, and Time Management is also essential.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, and walk. Some light physical effort required.
Travel is negligible, and primarily local during the business day.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copy machines, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
Applicants must have a clean driving record and pass a drug screening and background check.
Internal applicants must be meeting the minimum requirements of their current job, and should submit a cover letter and resume via the employee portal.
CoreFirst provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CoreFirst Bank & Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.