Community Care Network of Kansas
(in conjunction with: Alliance for a Healthy Kansas)
Alliance for a Healthy Kansas Director of Communications
Executive Director, Alliance for a Healthy Kansas
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00pm (or similar schedule)
Who We Are
The Alliance for a Healthy Kansas is a statewide coalition working to increase access to affordable health care and improve health equity by expanding eligibility for KanCare. Our membership is wide-ranging and includes business leaders, doctors and hospitals, social service and safety-net organizations, faith communities, chambers of commerce, advocates for health care consumers, and many more. The Alliance's work is accomplished through a strategic framework that includes community engagement, legislative advocacy and communications.
The Alliance for a Healthy Kansas Director of Communications is responsible for managing strategic communications for the Alliance, including but not limited to: messaging, media relations, email program management and social media.
This position requires the ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities resulting in successful and timely completion of events/activities, meeting objectives, and achieving established outcomes.
- Develop coalition messages based on message research in conjunction with team.
- Identify target audiences in conjunction with team.
- Tailor messages specific to each audience
- Develop talking points for spokespeople
- Develop social media messages in conjunction with team.
- Provide support for message development, materials, guest editorials, letters to the editor, and news releases.
Coalition Website, Database, and Email Program Management
- Maintain current statewide media list
- Draft media releases, with support from the Communications Directors in the Kansas Grantmakers in Health (KGIH)
- Assist in the planning and execution of news conferences, with support from the Alliance and its partners
- Provide media coaching for staff, coalition partners and consumers as needed
- Assist Alliance staff and designated coalition spokespeople in drafting and placing letters-to-the-editor and guest editorials.
- Coordinate website content and updates with GPS Impact
- Draft and send regular email messages to the Alliance list in conjunction with the Alliance staff.
- Help to grow the Alliance list with petitions, joint actions, and email-your-leader opportunities
- Mobilize supporters to take offline and online action.
Publications and Reporting
- Develop and manage social media content
- Create, post and manage 2-3 Facebook posts per week
- Create, post and manage 5-7 Twitter posts per week
- Work with the Alliance staff and members to coordinate live tweeting opportunities around events and key campaign moments.
- Develop and maintain the Alliance Communications Plan
- Edit and revise publications released by the Alliance
- Assist in developing a production and distribution plan for Alliance publications.
- Assist with grant writing and reporting, as needed.
- Coordinate with GPS Impact regarding publication design and layout.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism or related field is required.
- Five (5) years of work-related experience is preferred.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and accomplish goals within program or organizationally established timelines.
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to achieve thoroughness in all work being completed.
- Ability to multitask to balance various activities and deadlines
- Experience with database and mass-email communications
- Ability to work effectively with multiple individuals and manage several projects at once.
- Ability to promote a professional and positive appearance and work environment.
- Ability to communicate complex and technical information in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and written.
- Proficiency with Windows operating systems, Microsoft Office, and webinar and meeting hosting platforms.
- Unrestricted driver’s license required.
- Experience in graphic design
- Resilience, flexibility, and creativity
- Passion and commitment to improving health and social justice
- Ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse skills, cultures, and backgrounds
- High level of diplomacy and ability to interact with staff at all levels
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting with regulated temperatures and moderate noise level.
- Regularly required to speak and hear, sit, stand, bend, stoop, kneel and walk.
- Ability to read computer screens and operate computer peripherals for an extended period of time, or the ability to discern electronic information through reasonably available accommodations.
- Occasionally required to travel with occasional overnight stays necessary.
- Ability to lift or have the ability to utilize reasonably available resources to maneuver, up to fifty (50) pounds.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this position description at any time. The position description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow Community Care policies and procedures and maintain a professional personal appearance and workspace. Employees are required to follow any other position-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by the employee’s supervisor.