Latimer, Sommers and Associates, P.A.
: Staff Engineer
The Staff Engineer is responsible for representing Latimer, Sommers and Associates, P.A. (LSA) in a professional manner to our field and the community. This position is also responsible for researching, designing, and administering various projects at our Topeka and/or Kansas City office locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares drawings and specifications to ensure that systems’ installation and operations meets the owner needs, is coordinated with other design professionals and conforms to standards and customer requirements.
- Operates computer-assisted engineering and design software to perform engineering tasks.
- Confers with engineers, customers, and others to discuss existing and potential engineering projects.
- Directs and coordinates drafting and secretarial staff to ensure a quality end product is presented to authorities, other design professionals, contractors and owners on time and within given budgets.
- Performs detailed calculations to compute and establish design criteria and sizes of various system components.
- Investigates customer or public complaints, determines nature and extent of problem and recommends remedial measures. Partners will be notified immediately of any such issues.
- Performs all additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Partners.
- Be present at the office or as assigned from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at a minimum.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical, electrical, or architectural engineering from an accredited college or university; and
- Relevant work experience preferred with a consulting firm or similar tasks.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools and principals involved in production of precision technical drawings and specifications.
- Ability to take direction from senior staff.
- Ability to collaborate with internal staff including engineers, drafting and administrative personnel.
- Ability to provide documentation, detailed instructions, drawings and specifications to inform others about how systems are to be constructed, assembled, modified, maintained and used.
- Ability to think critically and use logic and reasoning to identify alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work efficiently with attention to detail and quality of work produced.
- Ability to prepare reports with accurate mathematical data and graphs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to make decisions while exhibiting sound and accurate judgment.
- Ability to set goals and objectives with the motivation to overcome challenging obstacles.
- Completes a daily timesheet reflecting the hours worked on specific projects.
- Occasionally works overtime to meet demands.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Professional approach and appearance.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Occasionally sit
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to fifty (50) lbs.
- Occasionally travel.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Professional environment in an office setting; and
- Interaction with staff and customers.