Manhattan Area Technical College
Director of Finance
Pay Grade: 14**
**Please note: the minimum salary for this position is $58,891.19 per year. Target beginning salary is $73,613.99. Actual salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience and education. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and future progression.
Reporting to the President, the Director of Finance provides leadership for the college in all financial functions.
- Classified and professional staff of the business and finance office and their functions, roles, and responsibilities, including recruitment, training, evaluation, and related supervisory duties.
- Provide leadership in the preparation, implementation, and management of the college budget including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial reporting, and other financial areas of the institution that meets and/or exceeds appropriate requirements and best practices.
- Reconcile all college/foundation bank accounts
- Administer a budget control system, with appropriate daily accounting processes, standards, and evaluation, for MATC, including club/activity accounts (in coordination with their sponsors), to ensure compliance with all appropriate laws and regulations, and to reinforce effective stewardship of college fiscal resources.
- Supervise the preparation, publication and distribution of budgets as approved by the President and Board, and preparation of all financial statements and related reports as required and/or as requested by college administration, legal/state/federal entities, and/or accreditation agencies.
- Responsible for all special project and grant financial accounting.
- Responsible for all federal/state/local tax reporting including maintenance of source documents and records used in the preparation of these reports.
- Supervise the collection, safekeeping and distribution of all funds.
- Ensure pre-audit of purchases are within budgetary allowances and are lawful expenditures of MATC.
- Develop and maintain the record keeping, safekeeping, and depository security of all funds to maximize investment income while assuring safety and liquidity of those funds; and the subsequent reporting on those investments.
- Develop and monitor a system of internal control ensuring compliance with federal and state laws and Board policy, and generally accepted accounting principles to include activities verifying account records, evaluating the adequacy of the internal control system on a continual basis, and evaluating the reliability of the accounting and reporting systems, and compliance with policies procedures.
- Serve as Treasurer to the Board of Directors.
- Coordination of student billing and financial aid distribution (with financial aid staff).
- Coordinates draw down and disbursement of financial aid to students including federal aid (Pell Grant, Direct Student Loans, SEOG grant
- Coordinates with grants officers on all financials aspects of institutional grants as per Education Department General Administrative Regulations (EDGAR) and/or state regulations to include spending activities, draw down, reporting, audits, etc.
- Prepare, publicize and renew purchasing bids according to policy, provide leadership in negotiation of contract purchases for the college.
- Other duties as assigned by the President.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in accounting or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- 5 years’ experience in accounting/budgetary position; in higher education institution preferred.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB)
- Experience with or knowledge of governmental/nonprofit or fund accounting
- Experience with computerized accounting systems
- Ability to analyze situations within policy and legal frameworks
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions
- Willingness to make decisions as necessary and appropriate in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Self-starter who will take initiative to effect positive change
- Proficiency in computer applications including Microsoft Office
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of privileged information and professionalism at all times
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to sit for extended periods.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to work occasional evenings.
- Ability to speak, observe, hear, and maintain hand/eye coordination.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) lbs.
NOTICE OF SPECIAL POSITION OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff and guests.
1. This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and results to be performed in this position. Duties and Performance standards may be added, subtracted, and/or changed by your supervisor at any time due to changes in department or institutional requirements.
2. Unless exempt due to employment contract signed by the President, all employees of Manhattan Tech are to be considered as an “at-will” employee.
3. All employees of Manhattan Tech are considered “responsible employees” pertaining to Title IX regulations concerning both prevention and reporting of sexual assault or harassment situations. As such, all employees must communicate with the Title IX Coordinator if they witness or hear about sexual assault or harassment situations.
4. Manhattan Tech is an equal opportunity employer and complies with EEOC and ADA employment requirements. Manhattan Tech grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, religion or veteran status.
5. All ‘offers of employment” are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.