Anesthesia Associates of Topeka
Billing and Scheduling Clerk
Non-Exempt, Full-time, On-Site
Description of work:
(Job Purpose): This is a revenue generating position that uses patient demographics, insurance and medical data to generate accurate service charges. This role works with claims to insurances and posts payments while ensuring reimbursements are correct.
(Description of essential duties)
Additional Responsibilities: (Jointly Responsible)
- Inputs patient demographic, insurance and medical data to generate charges
- Sends claims to insurances and/or billing statements to patients
- Posts payments from patients and insurance companies and ensures reimbursement is correct.
- Collects on delinquent accounts
- Coordinates daily schedule for all anesthesia providers for multiple OR facilities; (scheduled by OR staff or Scheduling Coordinator); create daily Master schedule and distribute.
- Coordinates all meeting requests for doctors, CRNAs, etc. and distribute relevant information.
- Verifies and entering: patient demographic information, correct codes to be billed and current insurance information for each charge.
- Processes and submits claims to VA, Tricare, multiple commercial insurances, workers compensation.
- Verifies accuracy of payments; posting payments and following up on any discrepancies, denials and/or appeals.
- Stays familiar with and stays up to date with insurance-specific policies and procedures (i.e. claim filing, timely filing, etc).
- Completes other accounts receivable duties as may be assigned.
- Communicates with multiple hospital departments, physician offices, patients, physicians, CRNAs and colleagues regarding scheduling assignments.
- Coordinates physicians meeting schedules with hospital departments, physicians, others as required.
- Coordinates scheduling of procedures requiring anesthesia between OR/physician office staff and anesthesia staff.
- Completes other scheduling duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: (Qualification requirements)
- Call changes for anesthesia providers being recorded and communicated with staff and appropriate hospital departments.
- Sets up for day (boot up computers, run reports, reconcile active balance sheet) and confirming successful submittals of prior day electronic claims.
- Retrieves daily mail, posting personal payments and resolving any discrepancies.
- Calculates and prepares daily cash deposits
- Reconciles daily payment worksheet.
- Balances payment worksheets.
- Answers phones; Resolving patient issues requested via phone (customer service requirement).
- Enters daily information of all patient demographic, insurance and medical information (CPT codes, diagnosis codes, anesthesia time and provider), after verifying and confirming information is accurate (per hospital records).
- Verifies and posts Insurance payments; completing any required follow up: i.e. appeal process, following up with insurance company and/or submitting corrected claims.
- Resolves delinquent accounts in collection queue.
- Reconciles credit account balances.
- 2-3 years medical billing experience strongly preferred; customer service background
- Computer software training in Microsoft Excel and Word is required.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment, including computers, calculators, typewriters, copiers and other standard office equipment.
- Ability to understand and abide by confidentiality requirements (HIPAA)
- Ability to understand and learn medical terminology
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks and to perform a variety of administrative duties, such as typing, word processing, filing, faxing and processing paperwork.
- Ability to demonstrate a personality which is pleasant, cooperative and mature.
- Ability to organize and complete several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both in a written and verbal manner.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to execute on multiple tasks, deadlines and priorities.
- Take initiative to work through issues without requiring constant supervision.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand, lift, carry, push, pull, balance, stoop, reach, handle, talk, hear, see, grasp, move head and neck and movement across mid-line.
- Ability to lift up to fifteen (15) pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to ten (10) pounds.
- Finger dexterity, manual dexterity, alertness, precision, motor coordination, auditory discrimination and tactile discrimination.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.