Medical Technologist (MT)/Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)
Nemaha Valley Community Hospital
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Director, this position performs all the tests accurately as required according to standard procedure. Functions as the Supervisor when the Laboratory Manager/Director is absent.
- Appropriate communication skills by phone and in person within department, all hospital departments, and patients.
- Answers phone in courteous manner.
- Ability to work well with others inside and outside department.
- Maintains confidentiality as defined by hospital policy.
- Adequate computer and typing skills.
- Performs tasks in Cerner system with minimal supervision or assistance.
- Schedules lab appointments.
- Makes sure lab orders are current with provider signature prior to use.
- Identifies patients 100% of the time according to policy.
- Collects venipuncture and non-blood specimens properly in correct containers.
- Instructs patients in proper collection of stool or urine collection.
- Specimens are processed following departmental procedures.
- Performs test accurately according to Procedure manual in all areas.
- Performs procedures within the time standards for routine STAT and ASAP testing.
- Notifies panic values to appropriate staff and adequately documented.
- Notifies appropriate staff when results are modified and adequately documents.
- Transcribes results correctly into manual logs and patient results.
- Verifies reference lab results are properly ordered and resulted in timely manner.
- Reviews patient charges for correctness and charges additional billing charges as required.
- Verifies patient records faxed to appropriate providers or nursing home facilities.
- Cleans work area periodically throughout the day.
- Equipment is operated, maintained, and repaired according to manufactures instructions.
- Follows Quality Control procedures.
- Helps with monitoring and documentation of Quality Assurance for phlebotomy and general lab.
- Analyzes survey samples and reports acceptable results to accreditation program.
- Keeps current supplies on hand.
- Takes turn in call rotation for week and weekend.
- Maintains competency and performs education in a timely manner as required by supervisor and hospital policy.
- Completes tasks or special projects.
- Performs other duties as defined by supervisor.
- Previous experience as an MT/ MLS
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Technology program BS or equivalent
- Registered in the state where employed CPR certified
- Must possess ability to multi-task.
- Reliable and dependable attendance is mandatory.
- Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Prolonged, extensive, or considerate standing/walking
- Considerable reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Normal eye sight, with or without corrective lenses
- Exposed to infection from disease-bearing specimens
- Exposed to odorous chemicals and specimens
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to numerous interruptions
- Responds to “Call Back” in a timely manner
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.