Manhattan Area Technical College
Dean of Student Services
Pay Grade 7 (Salary Range: $36,000 - $41,000)
The Academic Advisor provides comprehensive academic advising services to current and prospective students through development of academic and educational plans to help them achieve their goals. This includes career exploration, interpreting program requirements, enrollment policy and procedures, transferability, implementation of advising procedures, and providing guidance to students on programs and services of the College.
- Assists students in analyzing and evaluating academic needs by providing accurate and consistent information.
- Meets with prospective students and families.
- Participates in on and off campus events promoting the College, assists with orientation and commencement programs.
- Maintains consistent interaction and follow-up with students and maintains all relevant record keeping, tracking, and documentation.
- Intervenes and makes appropriate referrals to students perceived as at-risk, acts as an advocate as appropriate.
- Develops and maintains operating procedures that minimize the likelihood and impact of errors.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge about the College’s programs and requirements; consults with contacts at various transfer institutions regarding course and program transferability, admission and graduation requirements.
- Informs students about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g. adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses; change of program, major and/or transfer institution)
- Interprets testing results relevant to placement decisions; determines student readiness for College programs.
- Assists students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals
- Provides support for students with regard to time management, study skills, stress management. Refers students to appropriate college resources available.
- Monitors course enrollment and make recommendations to appropriate staff regarding reserves, restrictions, availability, wait listing, or closure based on program demand and course availability.
- Provides recruitment and outreach services to students by informing of financial support opportunities, such as financial aid, scholarships, payment plans, work study opportunities, etc.
- Participates in individual and team professional development, remains current with technology used to provide advising services.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of Student Services
- Associate’s degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Preferred experience in academic advising, admissions, student affairs, or other areas of higher education administration.
- Demonstrated leadership and customer service skills.
- Ability to interact in a highly collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail in setting priorities and organization of work load.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Strong computer and word processing skills, in particular experience with database systems and computer applications related to the advising and enrollment process.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and attend events as required.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff, faculty, administration, and guests.
- Ability to effectively cultivate and support a team-based, highly interdepartmental communicative, hands-on approach that is conducive to MATC’s culture.
To apply, visit: MATC Career Page
NOTICE OF SPECIAL POSITION OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
1. This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and results to be performed in this position. Duties and Performance standards may be added, subtracted, and/or changed by your supervisor at any time due to changes in department or institutional requirements.
2. Unless exempt due to employment contract signed by the President, all employees of Manhattan Tech are to be considered as an “at-will” employee.
3. All employees of Manhattan Tech are considered “responsible employees” pertaining to Title IX regulations concerning both prevention and reporting of sexual assault or harassment situations. As such, all employees must communicate with the Title IX Coordinator if they witness or hear about sexual assault or harassment situations.
4. Manhattan Tech is an equal opportunity employer and complies with EEOC and ADA employment requirements. Manhattan Tech grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, religion or veteran status.
5. All ‘offers of employment” are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.