Company: DL Smith Electric, Inc.
Job Title: CAD/BIM Technician
Job Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Location: Topeka, KS - on-site at DL Smith Electric office
Salary: $54,000-$80,000 per year, dependent on skill level and experience
DL Smith Electric, Inc. is an established full-service electrical contractor operating since 1972. We perform all types of new electrical construction, remodels, repairs, and service work within Northeast Kansas and throughout the Midwest. We have a long history within Commercial, Hospital, Manufacturing, Food Industry, Heavy Power, Institutional, Water & Wasterwater, Renewable Energy markets. We focus on team-oriented approaches, expect excellence personally and from others, always seek innovative solutions, accountable, and are relationship driven.
The CAD/BIM Technician is responsible for delivering on-time, cost-effective shop drawings that directly benefit our operations teams by transitioning seamlessly into installation. Overseeing the 2D/3D modeling and coordination process.
- Works with Project Management, Field Leadership, and Prefab to read and understand specifications and contract documents and to establish a plan of attack on your project(s) within the framework of the project budget.
- Use knowledge of electrical as well as mechanical and plumbing systems, to read and interpret code, and understanding of best practices in the creation of annotated installation and layout drawings.
- Works with Project Management, Field Leaderships and Prefab to find routing efficiencies that maximize CAD/BIM’s value on your project(s).
- Clearly communicates the agreed upon plan of attack to any internal team members and/or outsourcers that will be assisting you.
- Quality control the product on your project(s) - whether drawn by you or another BIM resource.
- Master the BIM/VDC processes including clash detection and embedded data and polish your technical communication skills as an industry leader in coordination and collaboration.
- Ensure that you and any other team members assisting you on your project(s) adhere to team processes for consistency.
- Strives for proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Autodesk Fabrication, Navisworks Manage, Bluebeam and other BIM software.
- Utilizes Autodesk Revit and AutoCad software, Bluebeam, as primary means of creating detail fabrication drawings for installation crews.
- Inputs finalized design into Fabrication Management software, produce fabrication documentation, and provide supplemental support to Production Foreman as needed.
- Manages prioritized detailing support for multiple projects with ability to adjust workloads and schedules based on the fast-paced construction industry.
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent required.
- Graduation from an accredited Technical School Program or an Associates of Technology Degree in CAD Technology preferred.
- Must have two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in a similar role in the construction industry.
- Field experience is a plus.
- Strong math and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in utilizing Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, Windows, Outlook)
- Working knowledge and direct experience with Revit, AutoCad. Bluebeam experience a plus.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to exercise good judgement with a strong attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of DL Smith Electric.
- Demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Must be able to satisfactorily pass a criminal background check and drug screen.
- Must be able to satisfactorily pass a motor vehicle record check. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment, in an office setting.
- Interaction with internal and external customers.
- Work schedule is generally forty (40) hours, though occasional extended hours may occur based on workload.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.