Shawnee County, KS
: Full-Time, Non-exempt
Human Resource Director
Under general supervision, this position has direct responsibility for payroll, internal audit functions, benefit plans, retirement programs, garnishments, and other duties as required. This position is supervised by the Human Resource Director.
Responsible for the balancing and completion of the bi-weekly payroll. Provides assistance for changes to payroll system. Responsible for the balancing and completion of bi-weekly payroll to accounts payable process, including processing the request for invoice payments. Prepares listing of payroll exceptions for the current pay period for verification and approval process. Calculates wage statements to determine the amount of benefit to be paid to County employees on Worker’s Compensation. Maintains a current list of withholdings, garnishments, bankruptcies and all other court-ordered payments. Calculates garnishments, student loan payments, State and IRS levies, then processes them in a timely manner. Interacts with attorneys and staff concerning amounts owed and garnishment releases. Completes necessary forms for employees who are terminating employment. Completes KPERS/KP&F transfer forms. Responsible for payment of quarterly State Unemployment and Federal 941 Tax payments, including the annual calculation of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Fee to IRS and State. Prepares various payroll reports for external vendors/governmental agencies as needed. Balances all reports for the yearly W-2’s.
Responsible for employee enrollment and maintenance in the insurance and benefits plans. Provides information to and resolves problems for employees relating to health insurance coverage plans. Monitors and verifies cafeteria benefits and deferred compensation plans and provides information to employees on these plans. Supervises and monitors the enrollment of all County employees for health insurance and retirement benefits. Administers the enrollment of new employees in the County benefits programs. Completes KPERS/KP&F withdrawal applications for terminated employees. Completion of the KPERS/KP&F annual contribution report. Assists in coordination of all necessary forms, meeting rooms, and other information for the annual Open Enrollment of the County’s Health Insurance Plans, Flexible Spending Accounts, and ancillary insurance plans. Maintains and scans employee files. Reconciles billing for insurance vendors. Issues memos pertaining to payroll. Balances employer and employee payments to KPERS each pay period and completes annual reporting. Serves as authorizing agent for KPERS/KP&F and KPERS 457. Performs other clerical duties including answering phone calls, emails, and walk-in inquires to assist employees with payroll and benefits questions. Works closely with all departments to facilitate payroll. Communicates with various third party administrators for benefits, payroll, and Worker’s Compensation. Ensures proper coding of employee benefits for yearly 1095 reporting.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Governmental accounting regulations, procedures and operations.
- State and Federal tax tables and computations.
- Bookkeeping principles and paraprofessional accounting practices.
- Participate in processing bookkeeping and accounting work of considerable volume.
- Make complex and varied arithmetic computations and tabulations rapidly and accurately.
- Understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, using the English language.
- Personal Computer
- Fax Machine
- Office Furniture
- Paper Shredder
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Four (4) years’ experience in bookkeeping, conducting payroll, or conducting Human Resources activities with payroll related duties.
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Human Resources or related field.
- Able to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle and feel, reach with hands, arms and talk and hear. Lift up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities include close and distance vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Required to pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
This Position Description is not designed to list all tasks and responsibilities of this position. Shawnee County reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need may arise. This Position Description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.