Company: Sunflower Foundation
Job Title: Communications Director
Job Classification: Exempt; Full-Time
Work Schedule: As agreed and approved upon between employee and President and Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”) in accordance to normal operating hours of 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday.
Reporting Relationship: President and CEO
The Communications Director will craft and implement the marketing strategy for the new Sunflower Nonprofit Center, as well as support the Sunflower Foundation brand. This role is responsible for leading the development, coordination and implementation of communications strategies which inform and educate key audiences about the Foundation’s mission, initiatives, programs and activities.
- Develops a cohesive Communication Model and Marketing Plan for the Sunflower Foundation Brand, Center and related holdings.
- Manages the Communications budget.
- Implements and manages the company image to stakeholders and the public.
- Coordinates and leads efforts to increase awareness and understanding of the Foundation’s mission, initiatives, programs and activities among key audiences.
- Collaborates with the President/CEO and staff to maintain a strategic communications plan for the Foundation.
- Partners with the President/CEO and staff to develop and/or update printed and online materials, including annual reports, brochures, news releases and publications for specific Foundation initiatives, programs, activities and events.
- Oversees website development, content creation and general website maintenance.
- Manages and identifies opportunities to enhance online communications, including e-news announcements and social media.
- Drafts opinion editorials, media advisories and feature articles on issues of interest to the Foundation; placed staff and board-authored commentary; prepares talking points and presentations as requested by the President/CEO.
- Directs media relations activities; cultivates relationships with key media outlets and contacts; responds to media inquiries in consultation with the President/CEO.
- Supervises relationships with consultants and vendors regarding graphic design, photography, advertising, printing and website design/maintenance.
- Partners with the President/CEO and Finance staff to develop and manage the annual communications budget; anticipates and plans for the Foundation’s future communication needs.
- Coordinates special communications projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Journalism, Communications or related field, is required.
- At least five (5) to seven (7) years’ demonstrated experience in a related field, is preferred; experience within philanthropic/non-profit sector/health care field, is desirable.
- Extensive writing experience with demonstrable skill for customizing messages for media type.
- Understanding of and ability to work in diverse media environments, including online (social) media.
- Advanced knowledge of information technology (IT), including desktop publishing (graphic design) and applicable software packages.
- Understanding and ability to use email marketing tools and social media practices.
- Strong oral communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- High energy, self-motivation and self-confidence, with ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member to execute projects on schedule and within budget.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize tasks and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Ability to perform in a collegial environment with differing viewpoints.
- Must have an interest in current health and health care issues.
- Professional dress, personal hygiene, demeanor and language, is required.
- Must have a sense of humor and a constructive, positive outlook.
- Ability to read mail and talk on the phone.
- Must be able to speak and listen effectively.
- Ability to work on the computer for hours at a time and concentrate on detailed information.
- Vision abilities for close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Bend, kneel and reach items with use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Unpack, lift and move items up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an office setting.
- Interaction with staff and customers.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.