Anesthesia Associates of Topeka
Medical Billing Clerk
Non-Exempt, Full-time, On-Site
Starting at $16.75/hour – negotiable based on experience level
Primary Accountability (Job Purpose):
(Job Purpose): The Medical Billing Clerk is responsible for inputting patient demographics, insurance, and medical data, in addition to sending claims to insurances and/or billing statements to patients. The Medical Billing Clerk is also responsible for posting payments from patients and insurance companies and collecting on delinquent accounts.
(Description of essential duties)
Additional Responsibilities (Jointly Responsible):
- Verifies and enters patient demographic information, correct CPT/ICD-10 codes to be billed, and current insurance information for each charge.
- Processes and submits claims to various insurance companies.
- Verifies accuracy of payments; posts payments and follows up on any discrepancies, denials and/or appeals.
- Stays up to date and familiar with insurance-specific policies and procedures (claim filing, timely filing, etc.).
- Performs additional accounts receivable duties as assigned.
- Completes morning work, such as booting up computers, running reports and reconciling active balance sheets.
- Confirms successful submittals of prior day electronic claims.
- Retrieves daily mail, posts personal payments and resolves any discrepancies.
- Calculates and prepares daily deposits.
- Reconciles daily payment worksheet.
- Balances payment worksheets.
- Answers phones (resolves patient issues requested via phone).
- Conducts daily entry of all patient demographic, insurance and medical information (CPT codes, ICD10 diagnosis codes, anesthesia time and provider), after verifying and confirming information is accurate (per hospital records).
- Verifies and posts insurance payments; completes any required follow up (appeal process, following up with insurance company and/or submitting corrected claims).
- Resolves delinquent accounts in collection queue.
- Reconciles credit account balances.
- High School Diploma/GED is required.
- Two (2) years of experience in medical billing is strongly preferred.
- Customer service experience strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology is required.
- Knowledge of medical billing practices is required.
- Computer experience including Microsoft Office Software.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment, including office automation, calculators, computers, typewriters, copiers and other standard office equipment.
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn tasks related to medical billing.
- Ability to demonstrate a personality which is pleasant, cooperative and mature.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively communicate, present information and respond to questions, both in a written and verbal manner.
- Ability to keep and maintain accurate records, filing systems and make reports in a timely manner, as directed.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings, including with other physician offices and across multiple departments.
- Self-motivated and interested in working with other people, as well as maintaining a good team attitude.
- Detail oriented with a high degree of accuracy and thoroughness.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems.
- Ability to sit or extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand, lift, carry, push, pull, balance, stoop, reach, handle, talk, hear, see, grasp, move head and neck and movement across mid-line.
- Ability to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to ten (10) pounds.
- Finger dexterity, manual dexterity, alertness, precision, motor coordination, auditory discrimination and tactile discrimination.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in a medical office setting. The noise level is typically moderate.
- Interaction with staff and patients.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.